Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Caramel Slice

I made a Caramel slice the other week, that was from a packet. I was a bit disappointed in it, and felt it was certainly not anymore convenient that making the real thing. One thing I have never liked about making Caramel slices is boiling the milk in the can in the saucepan. I know that is dangerous, plus I never wait long enough for it to cool before I puncture the can. So today I went hunting for a recipe and I found this one on the Nestle site. I made it, it was quick and easy. The kids can't wait to try it. I had a piece for supper, it was delicious.

Caramel Slice






Ingredients

  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 125 g butter, melted
  • 395 g can NESTLÉ Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 2 Tbsp golden syrup
  • 30 g butter, extra
  • 150 g NESTLÉ Dark Melts, melted

Makes:

24 squares

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease 18xm x 28cm baking pan.
  2. Combine first 4 ingredients, mix well. Press into pan. Bake for 10 minutes, cool.
  3. Combine NESTLÉ Sweetened Condensed Milk, golden syrup and extra butter in pan. Stir over medium heat until boiling, reduce heat, stir constantly further 5 minutes. Spread over base, bake further 10 minutes, cool.
  4. Spread top of slice with NESTLÉ Dark Melts, refrigerate until set.

1 comments:

Leighanne said...

they look so yummy!!