Thursday, February 05, 2009

Prosciutto and Bocconcini Pizza


I wanted to make a 'simple' pizza on few ingredients. This recipe was from the Women's Weekly 'Food We Love" book. I have made adjustments though, as with many recipes there wasn't any salt in it for a start, which I find really bizarre.

Topping
200g prosciutto
fresh bocconcini
fresh basil leaves

Tomato Sauce
500g Tomatoes (recipe called for 400g tinned diced tomatoes)
1 and tablespoon fresh oregano,
1 tablespoon fresh greek basil
sprigs of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons crushed salt flakes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste

To skin the fresh tomatoes. Place tomatoes in a bowl and pour over hot boiling water. Leave for five minutes. The skin will split, and easily peel off. Chop tomatoes roughly.

In saucepan, cook onion and herbs in the oil, then add tomatoes. Cook on low for a couple of hours. Add tomato paste, salt and sugar at some point during cooking. Let sauce cool a little before adding to pizza.

The smells of this cooking is just divine, nothing like fresh ingredients - the kids outside said it just smelled delicious.

Basic Pizza Dough
I always make my own pizza dough, unless I'm closely watching calories and then I'll use pita bread. I make a large pizza, which fits on a cookie tray.

2 sachets dried yeast (14g)
1 1/2 cups combined water and milk warmed
4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon crushed salt flakes
1 teaspoon sugar

Add yeast to warmed liquid with salt and sugar and let stand until it bubbles. Add sifted flour and then work to form a smooth dough. Leave in bowl with a clean tea towel draped over to keep it warm. I will make it quite a while before I need it. My girlfriend has discovered that once the dough has proved, it will keep well (and still rise) after it's been refrigerated, something we need to do on hot days, if you are making it up several hours before hand.

I then spread the dough on a cookie tray covered with baking paper and I have olive oil on my hands. I let the dough prove again for another half hour or so, before I add the ingredients.

Spread sauce over pizza base. Add sliced bocconcini and sliced prosciutto. Cook in hot oven (200 degrees celcius). Spread basil leaves on pizza, slice and serve with a delicious glass of red.

Simple, few ingredients, but very tasty.

0 comments: