Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chilli Con Carne



I cooked a dish tonight that was absolutely wholesome, delicious, full of flavour and nothing like the recipe I was actually cooking. I'd copied a recipe from Jamie Oliver's website because I was interested in the combination of vegetables he added, but that was where the similarity ended. I tasted it, about half an hour after it had been simmering away, and honestly, I wouldn't have been able to eat it. So, here's my recipe.

500g Minced Pork and Veal
2 large brown onions, chopped
1 capsicum, chopped (I used yellow, but red or green would be great too)
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 sticks of celery chopped
3 large cloves garlic
1 can chick peas
1 can red kidney beans
2 cans diced peeled tomatoes

2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon salt
generous sprinkle maggi seasoning
2 tablespoons mild mexican chilli powder
1 heaped teaspoon sweet paprika

Guacamole for serving
1 large avocado
half finely chopped white onion
1 medium clove garlic
chilli sauce
salt
Must all ingredients together for guacomole

For serving
1 packet plain corn chips
freshly baked bread rolls
chopped coriander

Using a large saucepan, cook all vegies to soften, then add mince, tomatoes, one of the cans filled with water, chick peas, kidney beans and all the spices. Bring to boil and them simmer for a couple of hours.

Serve this delish meat dish, with a generous dollop of guacomole and coriander. You can add sour cream too if you wish - dh did, I felt my meal was already decadent enough. We used the corn chips and bread rolls for dipping and scooping. This was a hit with everyone, even Sammy had seconds, which is rare.

0 comments: