Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pesto Pasta












One thing that's really struck a chord with me of late as far as cooking is concern, is the importance of the quality of your ingredients. I've always used the best I could afford, but I've now learnt, that not only will good ingredients end in a good result, but you can keep things fairly simple. This point is really highlighted when I make my own pesto. I love pesto - absolutely love it. Even the bought stuff is okay, but when you eat a homemade version - it's just heaven on a fork. Even my dh doesn't clamour for the 'meat' when I cook Pesto Pasta. As my beautiful greek basil bushes are doing so well, I gave them a trim, in the name of this dish.....I can't wait for the basil to grow quickly enough so I can make it again. It's so fast and easy to make and you need a food processor or bamix or something that will chop it all up nice and fine and mooshy.

Pesto
2-3 cups fresh basil, if you're using home grown stuff you can use the stalks that aren't woody
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (extra for garnish)
1/4 cup olive oil
60g Parmesan cheese
I added a little water, you could add more oil if you wish.

Moosh it all up in the food processor. Refrigerate until use.

Cook pasta ( I prefer fettuccine for this) , drain and then toss into a large bowl with all the pesto. Stir, place in bowls add freshly ground peppercorns, more pine nuts and coarsely grated parmesan.

I guarantee you will be licking the sides of the bowl when you finish. I used the lot for two good size serves - the kids didn't have any. Maybe next time!

0 comments: